Concerns over Prime Minister ringing NSW police commissioner_1

Questions have been raised over the Prime Minister's decision to contact the NSW police commissioner about a fraud investigation involving Energy Minister Angus Taylor.

Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese questioned Scott Morrison's judgment and demanded more details about the telephone call.

"His job is to act in the national interest, not his personal interest," Mr Albanese told reporters on Wednesday.

Former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull also questioned the wisdom of the telephone call.

"It would have been better if it had not been made," Mr Turnbull told Sky News.

"Being blunt about it, it is a call I would not have made."

Police are investigating how Mr Taylor's office came to provide a journalist with fake documents purporting to show Sydney City Council travel expenses.

Mr Morrison stood by his minister after speaking to NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller on Tuesday.

"I take matters of ministerial standards very seriously," the Prime Minister said.

"Based on the information provided to me by the commissioner, I consider there is no action required by me."

Labor referred the minister's office to police over a doctored document Mr Taylor used to attack Sydney mayor Clover Moore.

Mr Taylor claimed the fudged figures were drawn from the council's annual report.

The minister later admitted the travel figures he cited were wrong, but claimed the council had different versions of its annual report online.

Mr Albanese has called for the minister to be stood aside while police investigate.

"We don't know where (the document) came from but we know that it was given to The Daily Telegraph by the minister's office," he said.

"Maybe it was the fairies in the garden or the goldfish in the ponds here or maybe it was just conjured up somewhere."

-AAP