China's state-run media has mistakingly reported that the widely praised doctor who blew the whistle on the deadly coronavirus had died.

A nation was in mourning in the early hours of Friday morning (Australian time), after the Global Times said Li Wenliang, the first person to report on the outbreak of a mysterious disease closely resembling SARS, couldn't be revived.

The People's Daily, another state-owned newspaper, later tweeted that Dr Li's death had sparked “national grief”.

Even the World Health Organisation paused a coronavirus press briefing to express its condolences for Dr Wenliang's supposed death.
"We are very sad to hear the loss of Li Wenliang," top WHO official Dr Mike Ryan said.

"We should celebrate his life and mourn his death along with colleagues," he added.

It now seems the Chinese doctor is actually in a critical condition, according to the Global Times, which initially reported that Dr Li couldn't be revived after his heart stopped beating.

Whistleblower doctor in critical condition after widely reported as dead from coronavirus_1
Dr. Li Wenliang before contracting coronavirus himself (left). And a photo of the doctor from hospital, taken at the weekend (right). Photo: Weibo

On January 12, Dr Wenliang was taken to hospital after contracting the very illness he tried sounding the alarm about, only to be detained by police and accused of "fear-mongering" and "spreading rumours".

Bedridden in an intensive care ward, the ophthalmologist became a symbol of the Chinese government’s systemic failings in trying to silence what quickly became a public health emergency.

It all began on December 30, when Dr Wenliang messaged his fellow doctors in an online chat group, urging them to wear protective clothing after seven patients were quarantined for an unknown disease.

That disease reminded him of SARS, another type of coronavirus that killed 349 people on the mainland and infected about 1 in 10 people.

But little did he know those warning text messages would go viral and he would be summoned to the Public Security Bureau.

Whistleblower doctor in critical condition after widely reported as dead from coronavirus_2
The messages sent by Dr Wenliang to a group of doctors later went viral. Photo: Weibo

Wuhan police accused Dr Wenliang of making "false comments", spreading "rumours" and severely disturbing the social order.

They subsequently detained him until January 3 after he agreed to sign a document saying he committed "illegal acts".

Despite the police encounter, Dr Wenliang continued treating patients until he eventually came down with the coronavirus.

He was taken to hospital on January 12 and confirmed to have the virus on February 1.

The coronavirus death toll has now exceeded that of the SARS epidemic in 2003, with government figures showing infections are soaring by more than 2,000 daily.

Whistleblower doctor in critical condition after widely reported as dead from coronavirus_3
A worker walks among beds in a convention center that has been converted into a temporary hospital in Wuhan. Photo: AAP

As of Friday morning, China's death toll has jumped by 73 to 563, with more than 28,000 infections also confirmed inside the world's second-largest economy.

Chinese President Xi Jinping, still seeking to prevent global panic, declared a "people's war", saying China's strong mobilisation capacity and rich experience in public health would enable it to beat the coronavirus.

"The whole country has responded with all its strength to respond with the most thorough and strict prevention and control measures, starting a people's war for epidemic prevention and control," Xinhua news agency quoted him as saying in a telephone call with Saudi Arabia's King Salman on Thursday.

Back home, in Australia, diplomats are working with Chinese officials to allow another evacuation flight from Wuhan, as coronavirus continues to spread and take more lives.

Whistleblower doctor in critical condition after widely reported as dead from coronavirus_4
A general view of the Christmas Island Immigration Detention Centre on Christmas Island. Photo: AAP

But Prime Minister Scott Morrison says people should not assume further flights would be possible, whether from Wuhan or mainland China.

"DFAT (foreign affairs department) is now in the process of registering our intention to undertake a second chartered flight," he told parliament on Thursday.

More Australian evacuees touched down on Christmas Island on Thursday after being flown out of Wuhan, the Chinese city at the epicentre of the outbreak.

But the government is already making plans about what to do if the outbreak continues and the quarantine facility set up on Christmas Island reaches its 1200-person capacity.

Mr Morrison says defence officials are working to identify mainland sites to take any overflow, with hotels and mines as possible solutions.

-with agencies