Serena Williams has blasted her way into the Australian Open second round and given an insight into her new life as a working mum.

Williams took one hour and 18 minutes to dispose of Slovenia's Tamara Zidansek 6-2 6-3, despite being frustrated at her unforced errors.

"I think I made so many errors in a row and I just had to battle through that, through my own internal problems," Williams told Channel Nine in her post-match interview.

"I knew I had to play better. I couldn't keep making unforced errors like that. I knew that I had to kind of just step up or it was going to be a really long evening for me.

I don't know. I know I have a great form … I know have a great backhand. I just had to rely on it a little bit more and not question myself so much, so that kind of helped out."

Williams is at Melbourne Park seeking to win her 24th grand slam title and says she's found juggling motherhood, training and work a difficult prospect.

"It's not easy," she said. "Some days are definitely harder than others.

"I'm running a full-time company and this morning I'm sending emails about our March designs. It's insane, but it is fun. It is a lot of work. You know, being a mum is incredibly special to me.

"It is the best thing I have done. I try to – I'm a real hands on mum. Like, I really try to do everything with her, you know. We have been together every day of her life, which is a little bit much. I need to at some point spend 24 hours away, but I haven't been able to manage it yet."

She also had a laugh about her training pre-season training regime, which featured some neat dance moves with fellow American Coco Gauff.
Tweet from @AustralianOpen

Earlier, Australia's Marc Polmans' ditched his trademark legionnaires hat for his groundbreaking second round at the Australian Open, but found the going too tough against Serbia's Dusan Lajovic.

Polmans was never in the hunt against the 24th seed Lajovic, who won 6-2,6-4 6-3.

Australian Open: Working mum Serena smashes her way into third round_1
Inset: Marc Polmans returns during his second-round match against Dusan Lajovic of Serbia.

But Bulgarian 18th seed Grigor Dimitrov has been bundled out the Open after an upset five-set loss to Tommy Paul from the United States.

Paul jumped Dimitrov to win the first two sets and then had to fight off a determined fightback to win the final set in a 10-3 tiebreak, 6-4 7-6 3-6 6-7 7-6.

Earlier, Australia's world No.1 Ash Barty won through to the third round beating Slovenia’s Polona Hercog 6-1 6-4, while Novak Djokovic also made short work of Japan's Tatsuma Ito 6-1 6-4 6-2.

More to come.