Elton John and Chris Hemsworth  join stars donating millions for Australian bushfire relief_1

Elton John received a standing ovation at a concert in Sydney on Tuesday night after pledging $1 million for Australia's bushfire relief efforts.

The singer-songwriter matched the superhero-sized pledge of $1 million made by Marvel star Chris Hemsworth earlier in the day as they joined other phenomenally generous stars donating to bushfire charities.

Speaking to the crowd at the Sydney Superdome, the John said Australia should be "in awe" of its firefighters, who are battling an unprecedented bushfire season.

"There are people out there who have lost their lives trying to save homes. There are people who have lost their lives and their homes," he said.

"And lastly there's the plight of the animals. A loss of their habitat that frankly is on a biblical scale, and heart-breaking. Therefore, tonight I will be pledging one million dollars to support the bushfire relief fund."

Magda Szubanski joined forces with Will Connolly, aka 'Egg Boy', to set up a GoFundMe page to assist those affected "long term psychologically" by the bushfires.

Once the fires have burnt out and are no longer on the front page of the newspaper, show them that you still care!" Connolly wrote.

View this post on Instagram

LINK IN BIO ❤️ @magda_szubanski and I have teamed up! We have created a GoFundMe page dedicated to those traumatised,effected by the bushfires in Australia. We decided to raise money for those effected long term psychologically. Once the fires have burnt out and are no longer on the front page of the newspaper, show them that you still care! People have lost their homes, the places where they grew up and even their loved ones. (Humans and animals) We are liaising with mental health charities such as beyond blue making sure the money is going where it’s needed most! PEOPLE OVERSEAS PLEASE HELP! People are (as I type) bunkered down under wet towels with their family, in the ocean breathing in ash watching their land burn infront of their eyes. 😥 Keep spreading the love, thanks in advance, and the link is in our bios❤️ #mentalhealth #bushfiresaustralia #dancingwiththeblackdog #beyondblue #trauma #gofundme #help IF YOU CANT DONATE PLEASE SHARE MY POST

A post shared by Will Connolly (@willconnolly__) on

Firefight Australia, to be held at Sydney's Stadium Australia on February 16, will attract a "globally-renowned" line-up, according to promoter TEG Dainty.

The hot rumour is Queen may play. The band has a show in Sydney on February 15, and guitarist Brian May posted on social media he felt "helpless" about the fires.