The 2020 Golden Globes, held at the Beverly Hilton on Monday (Australian time) delivered a slew of highlights, awkward moments and calls to action. Here are the most telling and intriguing moments from the ice breaker to this year's awards season.

Before we start, no, Brad and Jen weren't snapped together but Joaquin Phoenix did suggest a climate change fix during a politically tinged speech: "We don't have to take private jets to Palm Springs."

RICKY GERVAIS WAS BITING BUT PREDICTABLE

From calling Joe Pesci 'Baby Yoda' to saying Felicity Huffman made his limo's license plate, host Gervais lined up easy targets – Catholicism, Jeffrey Epstein, Prince Andrew – and weird ones including Judi Dench, that's right, and superhero movies. The audience was Gervais' main cannon fodder. He told them, "If ISIS started a streaming service you'd call your agent" and his advice to winners was to not preach: "Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg. If you win an award, thank your agent and your god and f–k off."

TOM HANKS SANG THE LOVE BOAT THEME AND LOST IT 

After his career highlights reel included a guest appearance on '70s hit The Love Boat, Cecil B DeMille award recipient Hanks sang the first few lines of the theme song. Then he talked love, tearing up while saying wife Rita Wilson "has taught me what love is" and that his five kids "are braver and stronger and wiser than their old man is. I can't tell you how much your love means to me."

BRAD PITT THREW SHADE AT LEO

"Holy moly," started Pitt, who also would have won Mr Popularity, when he claimed supporting actor: motion picture for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. He talked up his fellow honourees and told "partner in crime" Leonardo DiCaprio ("LDC") he is "a star, he's a gent, I wouldn't be here without you. Still, I would have shared the raft". Pitt also made a joke about his love life: "I wanted to bring my mum but I couldn't 'cos any woman I stand next to, they say I'm dating. Just be awkward."

2020 Golden Globes highlights, awkward moments and surprises_1
Inset: Next time be better looking and more talented and personable, Brad Pitt. Photo: Getty

Signing off, Gervais had the last words: "Please donate to Australia, get drunk, take your drugs."

For a full list of 2020 Golden Globes winners, click here.