Third Test, SCG, Australia v NZ, day four, SCG

First innings: Australia 454, New Zealand 251

Second innings: Australia 2-217 dec, New Zealand 0-0

David Warner has smashed his 24th Test century, with Australia setting New Zealand 416 runs for victory in the third Test.

The total would have been 421 runs, but Australia was penalised five runs by the umpires after Warner was deemed to have run on the pitch.

Warner and in-form Marnus Labuschagne – who fell just four runs short of 900 runs in the summer – pushed on for quick runs before declaring at 2-217

The pair went to lunch with Australia at 1-172, with Warner benefitting from two edged boundaries to move quickly through the 90s and hit his third century of season off 147 balls.

Warner had started the day on 23 along with Joe Burns (16), with Australia at 0-40 – a lead of 243 – after New Zealand was bowled out for 251 in their first innings.

Labuschagne continued his brilliant summer hitting another half century to bring up the Australian 200. He fell for 59 when caught at long on off the bowling of Matt Henry.

After a big hitting innings of 40 Burns was given out LBW, with umpire Aleem Dar's rejection of Todd Astle's appeal overturned following a review.
Tweet from @7Cricket

It's expected spinner Nathan Lyon will have a big say in Australia's chance of victory later Monday and into Tuesday.

Lyon is closing in on a career-best home summer, having already ticked off a major milestone during the third trans-Tasman Test.

Lyon snared 5-68 at the SCG on Sunday – his first five-wicket haul at the venue but also his first five-wicket haul against New Zealand.

Australia's most prolific off-spinner has now claimed a five-for against all eight Test teams he has faced.

"I wasn't aware of that. That's quite special but I won't look at those things until I retire," Lyon said.

"I've still got a lot of cricket to give and a lot of cricket to learn about … I want to try to get better each day."

Warner gets century, Australia set NZ 416 to win_1
Inset: Nathan Lyon celebrates his five-wicket haul at the SCG. Photo: AAP

The tweaker requires four more scalps at the SCG to make it his most prolific home summer ever, surpassing the 25 wickets he snagged from six Tests in 2018-19.

"I'm very fortunate to be part of the best bowling attack in the world. It's about building pressure from both ends," Lyon said.

"It's going to be a good challenge for us over the next couple of days, it's exciting (aiming to make it five wins from five Tests).

"To go 3-0 up against the No.2 side in the world, it's a big carrot.

"We'll make sure our plans are clear and ready to go for when we have to bowl, whenever that might be."

-with AAP