Third Test, SCG, Australia v NZ, day four, SCG

First innings: Australia 454, New Zealand 251

Second innings: Australia 1-172, at lunch 

Warner 89, Labuschagne 36

David Warner is on the verge of another century as Australia look towards an afternoon declaration and a clean sweep of the series against New Zealand.

Warner and in-form Marnus Labuschagne went to lunch with Australia at 1-172 on as they attempt to set up a big lead on day four of the third Test at the SCG.

Warner (23) and Joe Burns (16) had resumed at 0-40 – a lead of 243 – after New Zealand was bowled out for 251 in their first innings.

Burns was given out LBW, after umpire Aleem Dar's rejection of Todd Astle's appeal was overturned following a review.

It's expected spinner Nathan Lyon will have a big say in Australia's chance of victory later Monday and into Tuesday.

Lyon is closing in on a career-best home summer, having already ticked off a major milestone during the third trans-Tasman Test.

Lyon snared 5-68 at the SCG on Sunday – his first five-wicket haul at the venue but also his first five-wicket haul against New Zealand.

Australia's most prolific off-spinner has now claimed a five-for against all eight Test teams he has faced.

"I wasn't aware of that. That's quite special but I won't look at those things until I retire," Lyon said.

"I've still got a lot of cricket to give and a lot of cricket to learn about … I want to try to get better each day."

Third Test: Warner on verge of ton as Australia looks for clean sweep_1
Inset: Nathan Lyon celebrates his five-wicket haul at the SCG. Photo: AAP

The tweaker requires four more scalps at the SCG to make it his most prolific home summer ever, surpassing the 25 wickets he snagged from six Tests in 2018-19.

"I'm very fortunate to be part of the best bowling attack in the world. It's about building pressure from both ends," Lyon said.

"It's going to be a good challenge for us over the next couple of days, it's exciting (aiming to make it five wins from five Tests).

"To go 3-0 up against the No.2 side in the world, it's a big carrot.

"We'll make sure our plans are clear and ready to go for when we have to bowl, whenever that might be."

-with AAP